Haven't written in a while. Not sure why. It's a mental problem, to be sure. Not being able to get to something that you really want to do, continually. Hmmm... It's Thursday night. Maundy Thursday? Is that how you spell that? Tomorrow there are strong storms predicted for Central Illinois, and I'm glad for that. I'm glad when the weather coincides with the spiritual, and dark weather is just what the whole world should have when we remember Jesus dying. It's been disheartening to have cold rainy weather on Easter the past couple years, if I remember correctly. I know this might seem superficial, and it is I suppose...but God has it all in his hand, so when it all comes together, he knows that I especially appreciate it.
Whitton, Sylvia, and Maren are watching a few episodes of Leave it to Beaver. I love that. We have to enstill the appreciation for things old and new. Great lessons in that show, at least the ones I remember. Zeke has emerged to the upstairs and is now "reading" books from the book basket here in the living room. He's copying what his father is doing, which makes me happy. I love it, in fact, that I can sit here and observe it happening, the turning of pages, the telling of stories.
Ezekiel turned four on the 9th. Soon, on June 2, my kids will be 4, 6, 8, and 10. That will be fun to say. Ezekiel had a Thomas the Tank Engine cake. As I noted on facebook, this was my second opportunity to refine my Thomas-drawing skills, as Whitton requested one when he turned three in 2003. I think this one was a little better. I know for a fact that this cake was better, because it was a Taste of Home Grand Prize winning recipe for a rich chocolate cake with filling and a (different) whippy frosting... and not an $.88 box mix. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with mixes, but this particular cake was truely much, much better. Ezekiel really liked it, since it didn't fall in the category of foods he doesn't like, which includes only 2 things: mushrooms and squash. (But really, he eats mushrooms just fine.)
In other fun family news, Sylvia has recently become an acclaimed writer for her book, Molly's Adventures. She wrote it on her own (meaning that it was not a school assignment) for the Young Authors competition. First we learned that her book was chosen for the district level, and later that she would represent Unit 5 (our school district) at the State level! Whoa! So proud. I think she's going to be a natural. :) The creativity that oozes from the pores of our Sylvia Mae is enough to astound us daily. About two weeks ago she came to me jumpy and impatient, shoving a piece of paper in my face to sign. 'Sign it. Sign it!'
"Sylvia, what is it?"
"It's a permission slip to audition for the talent show!"
"Oh! Ok. Do you have an idea? What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to tell jokes."
Pause. Starting to laugh, "Has anyone ever done that before? Where did you get that idea?"
"No, I don't think so. I just like to tell jokes to people and they really like it when I do it at lunch time."
You just have to know Sylvia. She'll attack this venture with great gusto, I'm sure, and she'll be doing stand-up in no time. She already has some good material revolving around the school theme that will have everyone in stitches. :)
More later, but hopefully not that much later. Ben is making popcorn, which has become a fun habit of his of late. We're about to embark on a double feature in front of our computer, since the kids are using the tv downstairs. Much love, Susan :D





1 comment:
I liked your point about the weather been dark and rough on Friday afternoon... that would suit me too... I plan to watch 'The Passion of the Christ" between 12 and 3 -
Glad to have found your blog.. it will be fun watching your kids grow....
Post a Comment