17 March, 2010
I’m debating what to call this file on my new little cute mini-computer. Ben bought this for me just a couple weeks ago, a tiny Eee PC, to take to Panera Bread any time I have opportunity to get away and want to pour the wisdom and silliness that clogs my brain out onto the proverbial page. Tonight is one of those nights. Guess where I am? I’m at Panera, along with an overabundance of other females at the present moment. College students, middle-agers, retirees…just chillin’, doing Bible study, catching up on email. The beauty of Wi-Fi. So, do I call this file- which will just be for journaling or blogging purposes (I’ll have to transfer it over to the other computer till Ben installs the firewall or whatever on this one)- BlahBlahBlog.doc or thepurposedrivenblog.doc? Very different tones, right?
This place is really hoppin’ now. I’m having my nearly-mandatory frozen mocha and a blondie brownie, which I’ve never had but is very tasty indeed. The big three and two friends are at church at Awana. I have about an hour because I forgot to get soy milk for Ezekiel at WalMart today, and also need to get peanut butter cookie dough before I pick them up at 8:00. Ezekiel is at home with Daddy, who all of us saw for approximately 15 minutes before leaving. He’s studying hard now for his second run at Exam 5, which I really am confident he will pass this time. He was so close last time, like a question or two away from passing, and that with 250-275 hours of study time. So, I think he’ll get it this time. He’s hoping for 300 hrs, I believe. Ezekiel is potty training now. He’s done very well the last couple days, though he still doesn’t ever really tell us when he needs to go. But, whenever we take him into the potty, he goes. That’s big. He’ll be 3 in just a few weeks and we’ll celebrate his three years on the same day we celebrate his three months at home with his forever family (that’s us). April 9. He’s made amazing progress. The big kids are well too. Sylvia used 100 Puma Paws (positive behavior rewards) to buy herself the position of Principal for the Day on Friday. I’ll be going in to watch her give the announcements. :D
As I was leaving Maren just now at Awana, we pinned on her name tag then walked around to the color-coded baskets where she was to deposit her purple bag with her Cubbies book. For some reason I began the nursery rhyme, “Little Miss Muffet sat on her tuffet (?).” Maren continued, “Eating her corn and cheese.” Along came a spider, but I couldn’t concentrate on that, because I had to laugh. And she was off into her room. :D
Well, something remarkable happened today while Ezekiel and I were doing the grocery shopping at WalMart. Occasionally when he and I are out in public alone, I can’t help but occasionally think that I bet people assume I am babysitting. That would be a totally logical possible conclusion. I’m light enough and he’s dark enough for most to think, “I don’t think he came from her biological line.” I haven’t had any negative comments whatsoever since he’s come to our home. But today as we looked over the various paper plate options, an older man stood nearby and did the same. Before we walked away, he said with all certainty, not an ounce of hesitation, “How old is your son?” I answered, “He’s almost three!” and smiled. The man patted Ezekiel on the back and said hello. I said that we’d had him home for a couple months and he said, “That’s wonderful, that’s wonderful” and walked away. I must admit I was really taken aback- in a very happy and joyful way.
How did he know so surely that Zeke was mine? I really wondered that. But it just struck me so strongly and made me very happy. I hope that I was just emanating a motherly vibe, that he could sense my love and ease toward him. Must be the mother, he thought. I don’t know if that’s true or not. But it would be nice. It’s nice to be surprised by goodness from time to time. Sometimes I get a little cynical, thinking that people are so predictable. People are pretty much going to follow their sin nature, their culture, their upbringing, I sometimes think. But then someone goes and says, “How old is your son?” and makes my day. Thank you, kind man! You stirred my heart today.
Well, I’m off to pick up the kiddos. It will be nice to see Ben at the end of this day. :D I should say, Maren is now registered for Kindergarten in the Fall!!! Whaaaaaa!!! My baby girl!!! I truly can't believe it. Somebody pinch me, though I AM wearing green... :D
3 comments:
Thanks for sharing Susan. The strangers comment made me tear and smile. What a precious way he affirmed you as a mother. Very cool.
I LOVE this!!! It reminds me how much our simple words and actions can make a difference. Here is this man who brightened your day, and countless others, who experienced it through you. There's something in me that really likes that it happened in Wal-Mart, since so many of my friends share horror stories from there.
I just caught up on your blog and am so happy that your transition with Ezekiel has gone so smoothly! I did international adoption home studies for families and am excited whenever I hear such positive stories.
Blessings,
Holly (Davis) Daly
Post a Comment